Friday, March 29, 2013

The Les Mills 21 Day Challenge


What’s it like to give up all starchy carbs, sugar and dairy for 21 days? I wouldn’t know! Okay, I sort of know. I’ve been struggling with what my Gold’s Gym students like to call ‘those last five pounds.’ So when Les Mills recently released a nutrition plan for its instructors, I was really excited. For those of you who are non-Les Mills folks, instructors receive a DVD kit every quarter with the latest music, choreography and training for our classes. The kit also includes different education segments, and in this case, a nutrition plan.

Let me tell you, Les Mills IS incredibly inspiring and this was no different. So, while watching the nutrition piece with a glass of wine while a CX Works national trainer described the plan while surrounded by healthy fruits and veggies, while wearing the CX works shirt that clearly shows those ‘last five’ pounds aren’t an issue, I decided I was game.

-          The plan is actually super simple. Eat five to six times a day while drinking plenty of water. For each meal, eat a portion of lean protein that is the size of your palm (so it’s different for everyone), one thumb size of healthy necessary fats, and two handfuls of non-starchy carbohydrates (no fruit). Finally, measure yourself (honestly) around your waist after exhaling naturally.

-         As a vegetarian who only occasionally eats fish, I knew this plan would be especially challenging for me. I typically eat a lot of soy protein, and the CX works guy explained that whey is better than soy for fat loss. Okay then. Being the overly organized person I am, I immediately set about creating an excel spreadsheet called ‘The 21 Day Challenge’ with all five meals planned out. I placed an order with Relay Foods, measured myself, and was ready to go.

MMM - green smoothie - ironically
in a beer glass
-          The first day was horrific. I was constantly hungry and would have done just about anything to eat waffle fries. By the end of the day, I had an intense headache and felt out of it. I went to bed early, proud to have made it through day one. Unfortunately day two wasn’t much better, and I was cranky and moody. Finally, day three arrived, and to my surprise, I felt fantastic. I was still hungry, but not in a ‘I’m going to die way.’ I felt light and energized and empowered. To top it off, that night I discovered I’d already lost an inch around my waist.

-          During the following 21 days I followed the meal plan to the best of my ability, which is to say, not completely and not always. I cheated on the weekend, though still eating healthier than I might normally because I wanted to keep feeling light and energized. I gradually allowed myself a glass of red wine with dinner as my one treat of the day, and I substituted one protein a day with a hard-boiled egg. I found non-soy vegetarian burgers and ate more fish than normal. By the end of the challenge, I’d lost four inches and two pounds and had fallen in love with many new types of veggies.

To be very honest, I know that if I’d followed the plan EXACTLY I’d have seen even bigger results. By week three I got really, really, tired of scripting out my meals and prepping food on Sunday evenings.  However, Les Mills is clear: this is a challenge, and it’s not meant to last more than 21 days.

Now, I’ve added back in fruit but only the occasional starchy carbohydrate. I give myself complete ‘cheat’ weekends and semi-plan my meals for the week without being too rigorously scheduled.

To me, the biggest result is that I truly know what it feels like to have my body running in tip top shape. I continue to crave spinach, kale, radishes, and all types of leafy greens and feel more satisfied with a salad instead of a sandwich and salty snack for lunch. The 21 day challenge has completely changed the way I shop at the grocery store and the way I think about eating. I call that a success. 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience, Jen! On first glance (I only looked at the chorey notes version, haven't watched the DVD yet), I was interested, but I decided it was very much geared toward meat-eaters. The "size of your palm" doesn't really translate to vegetarian sources of protein, and also neglects to include how much protein there is in vegetables and some leafy greens... so I knew I wouldn't feel satisfied.

    I admire you for taking it on! Sometimes it helps to shake things up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marian,
    Thanks for your comment! I completely agree. I was very hesitant to tackle the Les Mills 21 Day Challenge as a vegetarian. However, I'd been struggling for months to find the right 'plan' for me, and I decided I could modify and adapt to still achieve results. I do hope one day soon Les Mills will recognize that many athletes and instructors ARE vegetarian and challenge their nutritionists to come up with a plan for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing!!! I'm about to try out the challeng on Oct. 1st. Your blog has encouraged me. Good for you, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jennifer, thank you for sharing. As another vegetarian your blog encourages me in starting the challenge next week. Q: do you still have your spreadshead and would you mind sharing it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer. I am a distance runner, that needs to lose a few pounds, and I'm 6' tall to start with. I started this plan and after a couple of days started to feel really bad. I don't eat much different than the challenge, but I've been sick to my stomach most of the days. This is coming up on the end of week 2 with very little cheating. I'm to the point that I don't want to eat because of how I will feel when I do eat. I'm sure that isn't the plan, but that is how it is. I haven't run for 3 days because of how I felt. I can't think of what it might be. I got really good protein, and my food is the right temp when I reheat it. I lost 5 pounds the first week. I'm just trying to figure out why I feel so bad. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the same boat: vegetarian and I eat a little bit of fish. Would you mind sharing your excel spreadsheet?

    ReplyDelete